I was busy. It happens. A few weeks go by and I realize that I’ve barely had any greens. You know, the dark leafy ones that I tell myself I need to eat every day. We’ve talked about ways to hide kale in past weekly tips, here. So here is another way to get them in.. BUY A TUB OF BABY SPINACH!
Last week I bought a tub of organic baby spinach and challenged myself to eat it up by the end of the week. I have not been in the salad mood lately, so I knew that I wasn’t going to get it down by gorging on spinach salads day after day. Here’s what I did… successfully consuming one pound of spinach in six days.
- Threw a big handful in my recovery smoothies after yoga.
- Sliced it thin for a Taco Tuesday filling.
- Tossed it into my morning eggs.
- Sautéed it with some garlic and red pepper flakes and plated it under a chicken breast for dinner.
- Chopped it up tiny and put in my crock-potting taco soup.
- Blended three handfuls with a handful of basil, clove of garlic, a splash of olive oil and salt to make a pesto spread for a lunch wrap (plus had leftovers for lots of other things throughout the week).
- Drained my cooked whole wheat pasta and tossed in a few handfuls of spinach to wilt before topping with a little cheese and steamed veggies.
You see where I’m going with this? If you have baby spinach staring you in the face, you can incorporate it into just about anything for a nutritional boost!
A final example… throw spinach in a homemade vanilla milkshake with a little peppermint extract and you’ve got a green tinted shamrock shake! Now that’s the way to get down your daily greens!
What’s your favorite way to eat spinach?