Celebrate the beautiful color of produce! Adding color to your plate results in additional nutrients, flavors and textures to brighten up and add interest to your meal. As you work on your meal plans OR, for my spontaneous cooks, right when you are standing there plating your meals, ask yourself if there is a way to add some color.
- cut up some fruit for a side dish
- sauté some greens with a little garlic for a bed for your protein
- make a salad
- add a few crudités on the side (carrots, celery, bell peppers)
- finely chop up a herb to top salads, meats, grains (parsley, cilantro, basil…)
- add mushrooms (fresh or sautéed) as a topper
- place salsa or marinara sauce on the table for dipping
- chop up kale super small and add it to something
- grill up a bunch of veggies (or add a stick and call them veggie kabobs)
- use frozen fruit instead of ice cubes in your water glasses
- prepare a roasted vegetable plate (topped with a little shredded Parm, salt & pepper, and chopped parsley) for a starter/appetizer when everyone is at their hungriest
- incorporate frozen veggies into rice and other grain dishes (spinach, peas, corn, carrots…)
Use your imagination and creativity and resourcefulness and amazing things can happen! Little additions every day can really add up to nutritional excellence.
What do you do to add color to your plate? I’d love to hear all about it in the comments below…