It’s Salad Spree Wednesday! Every Wednesday in May we are adding a salad to our summer salad arsenal. This week’s recipe is a Spring Pearl Couscous Salad that makes a lovely side dish or a base for a light dinner if you add some protein on top. This is definitely one of those recipes where you can mix and match whatever produce you have on hand.
Pearl Couscous (also known as Israeli Couscous) is made of baked wheat and tastes a little like orzo pasta. It is different from classic couscous, including different preparation methods, so you can’t just substitute one for the other. Pearl Couscous can be found in the grain bins at most stores (including Whole Foods).
Here’s the recipe:
Recipe: Spring Pearl Couscous Salad
- 1 cup Pearl Couscous
- 2 cup Broth (veggie or chicken)
- 1 Spring Onion (minced)
- 1/2 cup Spring Peas
- 1 small to medium Zucchini (small dice)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2t – 1t Jalapeño pepper (minced)
- 1/2 cup Kale (chopped tiny)
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 2T EVOO
- 2T Parsley (chopped tiny)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup Goat Cheese (optional)
- Bring the Broth to a simmer.
- Pour in the Pearl Couscous and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Before turning off the heat, add the Spring Onion, Spring Peas, Zucchini, Garlic, Jalapeño (amount determined by how much kicked you’d like in the dish), and Kale and stir for a minute or so to incorporate and soften.
- Turn off the heat and toss the mixture into a serving bowl.
- Stir in Lemon Juice, EVOO and Salt and Pepper. Don’t be stingy with the salt and pepper! Depending on the saltiness of the broth you may need lots or a little.
- Before serving, mix in the Parsley and top with the Goat Cheese.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
One more week for our Salad Spree! I’ve got some ideas for our final salad… what would you like to see?