Here in Northern California it is getting hot! And that means it is time to stop making so many soups and start making big salads. To kick-off salad season here at the Lean.Green.Kitchen, we are having a SALAD SPREE during the month of May. Each week we’ll be putting together a salad recipe to add to your salad arsenal for the upcoming months.
No better way to start off our SALAD SPREE then with a party salad. This one is all about celebrating whatever you have in those veggie drawers in the fridge and in the pantry and making it work. This Confetti Pasta Salad could also be called Kitchen Sink Pasta Salad or Rainbow Dare Pasta Salad because it has a lot going on and a lot of flexibility. The recipe below shows what I put into mine today. Note: Salad clean-up is much easier than actual confetti.
Recipe: Confetti Pasta Salad
- 10oz of smallish whole wheat pasta (or any smaller pasta, including gluten free)
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (use your good stuff here!)
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed preferred)
- 2 T Honey (warm it until it is pretty runny)
- 1t Dried Oregano
- 1T Dijon Mustard
- 2 pinches Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Bell Pepper (small dice)
- 6 Baby Carrots (or 1-2 Big Carrots) (thin rounds)
- 1 med Cucumber (small dice)
- 1-2 Spring Onion (minced)
- 1 stalk Green Garlic (thin half-rounds of white and green)
- 2 handfuls Sugar Snap Peas (chopped)
- 1/2 med Zucchini (small dice)
- 12 Basil Leaves (chopped fine)
- 1 can Artichoke Hearts (drained and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Olives (sliced)
- 8oz Garbanzo Beans (drained)
- 1/4 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes (juilenned)
- 4 Kale Leaves (chopped fine) *This is a great place for hiding those leafy greens!
- 1T Parsley (chopped fine for topper)
*You can choose whatever veggies, beans, and herbs sound good to you. The Rainbow Dare is a challenge to have as many colors of the rainbow represented in your add-in choices! Shredded chicken and feta cheese are also nice.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Let cool.
- Blend dressing ingredients together. I recommend using a blender for this to really incorporate the honey.
- Prep all the add-ins.
- Combine the pasta, the dressing and the add-ins. Toss gently and if you can stand it, let the salad chill in the refrigerator for a little while.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
This salad is my take on a recipe that I found on the internet over two years ago. After much searching I found the original, so I could give proper due to Danica (who luckily named her pasta salad “Danica’s Pasta Salad” thus helping me find her! Her original recipe is here: http://danicasdaily.com/vegan-pasta-salad/
Let the SALAD SPREE begin!