Welcome back to the month of May’s Salad Spree! Each week we are highlighting a new salad to add to our salad arsenal. This week’s salad is my answer to two questions I’ve heard more than once: 1. What do I do with the beets in my weekly CSA box? 2. What’s the best way to introduce my kids to beets? My answer is the Beet Orange Stack-Up. Easy, beautiful, pretty quick and full of orange sweetness to balance the earthiness of the beets.
Recipe: Beet Orange Stack-Ups
- 2-3 small Beets or 1-2 bigger Beets
- 2 Oranges
- 1T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pinch of Salt
- crank or two of Ground Pepper
- 1-2T finely chopped Parsley
- Prep beets by chopping off greens and tails.
- Bring saucepan full of water to a boil. Add beets and cook at a high simmer/low boil until you can poke a fork into the center of the beet.
- Meanwhile, cut two 1/2 inch rounds out of the center of each orange (4 slices total). Peel and set aside.
- In the blender combine the remainder of the oranges (no peel), EVOO, salt and pepper and blend to a smooth sauce.
- When beets are ready, peel skin off using a spoon (it should come off very easily) and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Note: You can also dice the beets into small cubes for a more kid-friendly version.
- Stack-up the salad starting with the orange slice as the base, then beet slices and finishing with a few spoonfuls of the orange sauce. Note: Kids love the sauce, use more if you are introducing beets for the first time to make the salad sweeter.
- Top with the parsley and a last pinch of salt and pepper if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Now this salad will put color on your plate! Enjoy!
This post is linked to Sunday School at Butter Believer!