This powerhouse soup is hearty and able to fill up hungry family members who have been playing and working all day in the summer sun. This easy gumbo recipe is a lighter, fresher, cleaner version of traditional gumbos, and it is shellfish free, as I made it for my dad who is highly allergic. We served it with a beautiful loaf of pugliese bread and talked about how it would hold up nicely in a bread bowl. Whether as a soup starter or a main dish, your body will thank you for the nutrients!
Recipe: Clean and Easy Summer Gumbo
- 1 cup Onion (chopped small)
- 1/2 cup Carrot (chopped small)
- 1/2 cup Celery (chopped small)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1T Butter or EVOO (or a combo of both)
- 2 Italian Chicken Sausages (sliced into 1/4 inch rounds) – I use Applegate Organics Sweet Italian (you could delete altogether for vegetarians or use Shrimp or Cubed Chicken)
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice
- 4 cups Chicken Stock (can easily sub with Vegetable Stock)
- 28oz crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 1/2t dried Oregano
- 1 1/2t dried Thyme
- 1/2t Sea Salt
- 1/2t Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups chopped Kale (frozen is great!)
- 2 cups Corn (frozen is great!)
- 2 cups sliced Okra (frozen is great!)
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, in a large pot heat butter/oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and cook until everything softens.
- Add sausage rounds and cook for another few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, sea salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, then add kale, corn and okra.
- Continue simmering until rice is finished and add rice.
- Add two cups of water if gumbo is too thick.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and check spices. Adjust as necessary.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
This recipe is heavily adapted from Clean Eating magazine (Chicken Gumbo, June 2012).
Perhaps enjoy this on a back porch with some iced tea!?